Israel, a country in need – Update from Dugit Distribution Center

People waiting in line for food packages at a distribution center for needy in Lud on September 11, 2012, ahead of the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah. (Photo: Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

Looking through the scriptures, we find that Yeshua was interested in meeting both the spiritual and physical needs of His people. Often, it was the meeting of a physical need that opened the eyes of Israel to their Messiah. Here at Dugit we believe that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. And so we seek to follow His lead by doing what we can to meet the real and pressing needs of some of Israel’s most vulnerable citizens.

The conditions of the poor and needy in Israel have not improved over the last few years, and according to local news outlets and NGO reports, it has only worsened. Between the high cost of living, high taxes, and low income, the majority of Israelis struggle just to make ends meet. This battle is the reality of more than a quarter of the population of Israel.

According to a report recently published by the NGO, there are about 2,546,000 (31.6%) impoverished people living in the country. This includes 1,613,000 adults (29.8%), and 932,000 children (35.1%), according to the findings. More than a third of these children dropped out of school to help support their families. Almost 70% of the impoverished families earn an average salary of 4,000 shekels a month – about a thousand dollars (1/4 less than the cost of housing alone). When it comes to senior citizens, the statistics are not much better. Most elderly (94%) will say that the government benefits are not enough to live in dignity or to purchase bare necessities. The majority of elderly cannot afford a nursing home or in-home care. The homeless make up 10% of the poor people while the other 90% live in old homes or housing projects.

Yeshua says in Matthew 6:26-28 that He is the great provider. Just as he provides for the birds of the air and the flowers of the field, He will also provide for our every need.

Please join us in praying for our fellow Israelis, that God will fill their needs both physically and spiritually and that they will see Yeshua as the great Provider for their bodies and the great Redeemer of their souls.

The Dugit Distribution Center

The Dugit Distribution Center in Tel Aviv was created with the purpose of feeding and clothing the needy while sharing the Gospel with all who enter our doors. We are so blessed to have husband and wife team, Denis and Nadia, working to see that purpose fulfilled. Monthly, we are feeding close to 100 families from the area. These families are referred to us by the Tel Aviv municipality (government social services). The majority of people are Russian immigrants who are learning to speak Hebrew. Denis and Nadia are immigrants from the Soviet Union who fluently speak Russian and Hebrew. This helps them to communicate with the families. Even though we have moved, downsized and been thrown out of several different locations, God has been faithful through it all to keep the Distribution Center operations running and even growing.

Trip to Jerusalem

Denis and Nadia had it in their hearts to do something special for these people. This came to fruition when they took a group on a day trip to Jerusalem so they could experience the joys of Israel. Most these individuals would not have the opportunity to visit Jerusalem because of the immediate need to learn Hebrew and provide for their families.

They were treated like royalty by the staff of Dugit. Following the tour, the group was taken to a very nice restaurant and received a warm meal. By the end of the trip many people expressed their gratitude for this experience.

Please pray for the seeds of love to grow into the fruit of belief in Yeshua, our Messiah.

This article originally appeared on Dugit, February 8, 2017, and reposted with permission.